Adhi aka Adhithya Ramachandran Venkatapathy is the co-founder of Hiphop Tamizha, a musical duo with R. Jeeva that has released several albums. Let’s learn more about Adhi’s personal and professional life, as well as some interesting facts.
Adhi was born in Sathyamangalam, Erode district, Tamil Nadu, India, on February 20, 1990 (age 28 as of 2018). He rose to popularity after the success of the song “Club Le Mabbu Le,” which he co-wrote with his partner. After hearing Michael Jackson’s single “Jam,” he became involved in hip-hop. He began composing and uploading his own rap songs to the internet. After being scolded,
Adhi stands about 5’7″ tall and weighs 65 kg. He has black hair and brown eyes.
Family, Caste & Girlfriend
Adhi is from a Hindu Gounder (Backward Class) family from the middle class. His father is a professor at Bharathiar University, and his mother is from a farming family.
On November 30, 2017, he married Latchaya in a private ceremony in Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh.
Adhi attended Chavara Vidya Bhavan in Coimbatore for his studies. He earned his bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from Bannari Amman Institute of Technology in Sathyamangalam, Tamil Nadu, and his MBA from the University of Madras’ Department of Management Studies in Chennai.
He released his first single track, “Club Le Mabbu Le,” on YouTube, and it received over 2 million views in less than a week.
He and R. Jeeva founded the musical group ‘Hiphop Tamizha’ in 2005. They found each other on the social networking site Orkut.
They released their first Tamil hip-hop mixtape, “Vishwaroobam Arambam,” in 2005, and their first album, “Hiphop Tamizhan,” in 2012. He featured in music videos such as “Excuse Me Kathali” (2010), “Ezhuvoam Vaa” (2011), and “Takkaru Takkaru” (2016), among others.
In 2013, he collaborated with Remy Martin on the international album ‘International Tamizhan,’ which features 8 tracks and two songs performed by American artists ‘Sol’ and ‘Emcee Call,’ but the album has yet to be announced.
Hip-hop Tamizha directed the Tamil film “Meesaya Murukku” in 2017, in which he also starred as Adhithya/Adhi.
Awards & Recognition
- Adhi has been dubbed “the first artiste from India to release a Tamil hip-hop album.” Mr. Thomas Bain of the World University of Records and Mr. Babu of the India Book of Records presented him with the award.
- He won the ‘Internet Sensation of the Year’ award at the BIG Tamil Entertainment Awards, hosted by BIG FM 92.7, in 2013.
- He was named ‘The Rising Star of 2014 Male’ at the Edison Awards in 2015.
- In 2016, he received the World Tamil Chamber of Commerce’s “Saadhanai Tamizhan” award (WTCC). The Governor of Tamil Nadu presented him with this honour.
- At Anna University’s annual event Techofes, Adhi was named “Independent Artist of the Year.”
- Hiphop Tamizha partnered with a firm called Difference of Opinion to launch the brand Tamizhanda Clothing in 2013.
- He also founded the Madrasi Mafia music label, which represents independent musicians.
- He performed live at a number of events, including Deepwoods at Madras Christian College and Techofes at Anna University.
- In 2015, he held a seminar on brand management called “Face to Face: Hiphop Tamizhan” at Dr. G.R. Damodaran College of Science in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu.
- Hiphop Tamizha wrote the title song for the multilingual South Indian TV series ‘Nandini’ in 2017.