Kapil Sharma is a stand-up comedian, actor, anchor, singer, and film and television producer. His comedy shows The Kapil Sharma Show, Comedy Nights with Kapil, and Comedy Circus have made him a household name. Forbes India placed him 11th in its Celebrity 100 list in 2016.
He was born on April 2, 1981, in Amritsar, Punjab, India, to a Punjabi Brahmin family (age 40 as of 2021). His nickname is ‘Kappu,’ which he gets from his buddies. He aspired to be a vocalist since he was a child, but subsequently decided to become a comedian. He is a multi-talented individual who excels at singing, acting, and humour. He had a hard time financially supporting his family throughout his life. He used to work in a PCO when he was in tenth grade. He also spent a few months working in a cloth factory. Following that, he began acting in theatre and also performed in a few short shows. Later, he began appearing on comedy shows and became a tremendous sensation. He is very close to his family, and he always credits his success to his mother. When he won the comedic reality show “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge,” he received Rs 10 lakh in prize money, which he used to pay for his sister’s wedding. Kapil has advocated for the adoption of homeless animals such as cats and dogs. He has also advocated for the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’, which aims to keep India clean.
- Height: 5′ 9″
- Weight (approx.): 80 kg
- Chest Size: 40 inches
- Waist Size: 32 inches
- Biceps Size: 14 inches
- Eye Colour: Dark Brown
- Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
He comes from a Brahmin family of the middle class.
Siblings and Parents
His father, the late Jeetendra Kumar Punj, was a Punjab Police head constable, and his mother, Janak Rani, is a housewife. His father died of cancer at AIIMS Delhi in 2004. Kapil is a devout Hindu. Ashok Kumar Sharma is his brother, while Pooja Sharma is his sister.
Wife, Children, and Relationships
After a brief relationship with Preeti Simoes, he began dating comedian and actress Ginni Chatrath, with whom he became engaged in 2013. They first met on the set of a humorous reality show called “Hans Baliye.”
On December 12, 2018, Kapil Sharma married Ginni Chatrath in Jalandhar, Punjab. They have two children: a baby girl born in December 2019 and a baby boy born on February 1, 2021.
He attended Shri Ram Ashram Senior Secondary School in Amritsar, Punjab, and graduated from Hindu College in Amritsar with a Bachelor of Arts degree. He used to compete in singing, dance, and theatre competitions when he was in college. At the time, he was the recipient of a number of accolades. He appeared in the Punjabi comic reality show Hasde Hasande Ravo, which aired on MH One in 2006. Following that, he appeared in ‘The Great Punjabi Comedy Show,’ another Punjabi comedy show.
He won the third season of the Hindi comedic reality show “The Great Indian Laughter Challenge” in 2007. Other comedy shows in which he appeared include ‘Ustaadon Ka Ustaad’ (2009), Hans Baliye (2009), Comedy Circus (2010-2013), and Star Ya Rockstar (2011).
He hosted the comic TV show Chhote Miyan in 2008. In 2013, he co-hosted Season 6 of the dancing reality show ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ alongside TV anchor Manish Paul.
He made his acting debut in the Bollywood film “Bhavnao Ko Samjho” in 2010, playing Thakur’s son.
He won six seasons of Comedy Circus in a row, including ‘Comedy Circus Ke SuperStars’ (2010), ‘Comedy Circus Ka Jadoo’ (2010), ‘Jubilee Comedy Circus’ (2010-2011), ‘Comedy Circus Ke Taansen’ (2011), ‘Comedy Circus Ka Naya Daur’ (2011), and ‘Kahani Comedy Circus Ki’ (2011). (2011-2012).
Later on, he established his own production firm, K9 Productions. In 2013, he launched his own comedy show, “Comedy Nights with Kapil,” which aired on Colors TV under his production firm. It went on to become India’s highest-rated scripted television show. The show was successful for three years, however it was cancelled in 2016 owing to conflicts with Colors TV.
In 2015, he hosted the 60th Filmfare Awards, the Star Guild Awards, the 22nd Star Screen Awards, the 61st Filmfare Awards, and the 62nd Filmfare Awards. In 2016, he presented the 61st Filmfare Awards, and in 2017, he hosted the 62nd Filmfare Awards.
In the Bollywood film “Kis Kisko Pyaar Karoon,” he played the lead part of “Shivkumar Ramkrishan Punj.” Despite receiving a legal notice from the court due to similarities with the Kannada film Nimbehuli, the film was released (2014). The critical response to the film was overwhelmingly good.
In 2016, he began presenting another comedy show, “The Kapil Sharma Show,” which aired on Sony Entertainment Television, however the show was cancelled in August 2017 due to his health problems.
In 2014, he appeared as a guest on Kaun Banega Crorepati Season 8, The Anupam Kher Show in 2014, Farah Ki Daawat in 2015, Aap Ki Adalat in 2015, Dance India Dance in 2015, Indian Idol Junior in 2015, The Voice in 2015, Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi in 2015, Koffee with Karan Season 5 in 2017, and Bigg Boss Season 11 in 2017. In 2017, he appeared as a guest on
He produced and acted in the Bollywood film ‘Firangi’ in 2017, but the film was a box office flop.
In 2018, he relaunched his comedy show, ‘Family Time with Kapil Sharma,’ which he co-hosted with actress Neha Pendse.
- He was paid a hefty Rs 1.25 crore in 2014 for presenting the Celebrity Cricket League Season 4 extra innings. He was meant to co-host the extra innings with Mandira Bedi, but he backed out at the last minute because he didn’t have his own vanity van.
- He allegedly misbehaved with his female co-stars Deepali Sayyad, Tanishaa Mukerji, and Monali Thakur during the International Marathi Film Festival Awards in 2015. He rejected the accusation at the time, but later tweeted, “I fall, I rise, I make errors, I live, I learn, I’ve been injured, but I am alive.” I am a human being that isn’t flawless, but I am grateful (sic).”
- Priyanka Chopra, a prominent Bollywood actress, once kept him waiting for over three hours at a Bollywood award ceremony. She still stated she wasn’t ready when she arrived. “Ladies logon ka yehi issue hai, madam abhi tak tayaar nahin hain,” Kapil stated after throwing his earbuds on the floor.
- The Maharastra State Commission for Women filed a complaint against him after he made a joke about a pregnant woman having a baby while driving on a pothole-filled road. The joke was too much for the women campaigners, who thought it was rude and offensive.
- After two and a half years of Comedy Nights with Kapil, Colors TV fired him in 2016, saying that he had demanded many raises in salary and had even broken some contract stipulations by hosting the show on competitor channels.
- In 2016, some Amritsar nurses and nursing students filed a police complaint against Kapil Sharma for The Kapil Sharma Show, stating that the show had objectified nurses and nursing students. “This is offensive; no nurse behaves like this in real life,” one nursing student stated. We are members of a prestigious profession.” “The kind of interaction represented between a doctor and a nurse on the show is derogatory,” observed another. The actor Rochelle Rao, who plays a nurse, wears a costume that is offensive to our community.” “Doing humour is one thing, but denigrating someone’s vocation is quite another,” another nurse added.
- “I am paying 15 crores income tax from last five years and yet have to pay five lacs bribe to BMC office for making my office, Narendra Modi,” Kapil tweeted on September 9, 2016. “Yeh hain aapke achhe din? @narendramodi,” he added. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) vigilance officer, Manohar Pawar, then added, “We request Mr Sharma to reveal the name of the official so that BMC can take serious action.” “Kapilbhai, please supply every information,” Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis remarked. I’ve told MC and BMC to take the most severe measures possible. The perpetrator will not be spared.” Officials claimed that he had made several internal changes without BMC’s consent, according to reports.
- During a flight in 2017, an intoxicated Kapil Sharma assaulted stand-up comic Chandan Prabhakar. When Sunil Grover attempted to resolve the conflict between them, Kapil verbally and physically assaulted him.
- In 2018, he filed a complaint against Vicky Lalvani, Neeti, and Preeti Simoes of Spotboye for defaming his image. Vicky Lalvani, on the other hand, shared an audio cassette clip of Kapil assaulting Vicky.
- The Best Comedian Award is given by the Indian Television Academy (2012, 2013)
- For the Best Entertainer of the Year, CNN-IBN named Indian of the Year (2013)
- The Star Guild Award for Best Comedy Show is given by the Star Guild (2014)
- Comedy Nights with Kapil won the Indian Television Academy Award for Best Actor (Comedian) (2015)
- Rajma-Chawal, Aloo Paranthas are few of the dishes available.
- Akshay Kumar is a Bollywood actor.
- Deepika Padukone is a Bollywood actress.
- Gurdas Mann and Sardool Sikandar are musicians.
- Gurpreet Ghuggi is a comedian.
- Chak 89 is a restaurant in Chak 89. (London)
- London is the last destination.
- He charges between Rs. 60 and Rs. 80 lakh every episode. His net worth is estimated to be approximately $10 million. [n]India Times[/n]
- Kapil bats from the left side of the plate.
- Gurpreet Ghuggi is his spiritual guide.
- He used to actively participate in theatre productions to earn money while pursuing his graduation from Apeejay College of Fine Arts in Jalandhar. He received a scholarship and a national award for directing several plays.
- His fans refer to him as the “Comedy King.”
- He was first rejected in the Great Indian Laughter Challenge season 3 audition round, but he was eventually called back and won the competition.
- Kapil has appeared on the covers of a number of popular magazines, including GR8! and others.
- The Delhi Election Commission appointed him as the brand ambassador for the 2014 Lok Sabha Elections in 2014.
- Singing, listening to music, travelling, and other activities are among his interests.
- He enjoys consuming alcoholic beverages.